Hello everyone! If you are looking for the best Marcus Aurelius quotes, you will find below his most inspirational quotes.
Marcus Aurelius was ruling Rome as an emperor for almost 20 years from 161 until he died in 180.
He was regarded as one of the most influential Roman emperors, and he is well known to his human, responsible and competent rule. Marcus Aurelius was also seen as one of the Five Good Emperors of Rome.
Marcus Aurelius has learned a lot from Epictetus and he took a lot of personal notes of his ideas, lessons and thoughts.
These notes have transformed later into a book called ‘The Meditations’. This book is regarded as one of the most influential books in history and seen by a lot of people as the best explanation of humility, personal ethics, self-discipline, and self-actualization.
Marcus Aurelius is one of the biggest Stoic philosophers, his quotes reflect his deep understanding of the importance of self-improvement, having a purpose, resilience and inner peace.
Marcus Aurelius Quotes are a good reminder for us of how it is so important to live a virtuous and meaningful life, and they keep offering inspiration and guidance needed for all people of different ages.
Here is a wonderful list of 40 of the best Marcus Aurelius quotes that I hope you will enjoy.
40 Powerful Marcus Aurelius Quotes
1. “Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.” — Marcus Aurelius
2. “Dig deep within yourself, for there is a fountain of goodness ever ready to flow if you will keep digging.” — Marcus Aurelius
3. “The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.” — Marcus Aurelius
4. “Our life is what our thoughts make it.” — Marcus Aurelius
5. “A person’s worth is measured by the worth of what he values.” — Marcus Aurelius
6. “He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.” — Marcus Aurelius
7. “It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.” — Marcus Aurelius
8. “If it is not right, do not do it, if it is not true, do not say it.” — Marcus Aurelius
9. “The greatest thing by far is to be a master of metaphor.” — Marcus Aurelius
10 of 40 Marcus Aurelius Quotes
10. “When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” — Marcus Aurelius
11. “Do every act of your life as if it were your last.” — Marcus Aurelius
12. “Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future too.” — Marcus Aurelius
13. “Remember that very little is needed to make a happy life.” — Marcus Aurelius
14. “Be tolerant with others and strict with yourself.” — Marcus Aurelius
15. “Do not act as if you were going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over you. While you live, while it is in your power, be good.” — Marcus Aurelius
16. “Every day provides its own gifts.” — Marcus Aurelius
17. “Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” — Marcus Aurelius
18. “A man should fear never beginning to live.” — Marcus Aurelius
19. “Adapt yourself to the life you have been given; and truly love the people with whom destiny has surrounded you.” — Marcus Aurelius
20 of 40 Inspirational Marcus Aurelius Quotes
20. “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.” — Marcus Aurelius
21. “A man should fear never beginning to live.” — Marcus Aurelius
22. “Adapt yourself to the life you have been given; and truly love the people with whom destiny has surrounded you.” — Marcus Aurelius
23. “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.” — Marcus Aurelius
24. “Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.” — Marcus Aurelius
25. “The time is at hand when you will have forgotten everything; and the time is at hand when all will have forgotten you. Always reflect that soon you will be no one, and nowhere.” — Marcus Aurelius
26. “What we do now echos in eternity.” — Marcus Aurelius
27. “Do not waste the remainder of your life in thoughts about others, when you do not refer your thoughts to some object of inquiry.” — Marcus Aurelius
28. “The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.” — Marcus Aurelius
29. “The only wealth which you will keep forever is the wealth you have given away.” — Marcus Aurelius
30 of 40 Marcus Aurelius Quotes
30. “When you are offended at any man’s fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger.” — Marcus Aurelius
31. “Let no act be done without a purpose, nor otherwise than according to the perfect principles of art.” — Marcus Aurelius
32. “Every living organism is fulfilled when it follows the right path for its own nature.” — Marcus Aurelius
33. “The best answer to anger is silence.” — Marcus Aurelius
34. “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” — Marcus Aurelius
35. “A person’s worth is measured by the worth of what he values.” — Marcus Aurelius
36. “Every man’s life lies within the present; for the past is spent and done with, and the future is uncertain.” — Marcus Aurelius
37. “Give yourself a gift, the present moment.” — Marcus Aurelius
38. “If someone is able to show me that what I think or do is not right, I will happily change, for I seek the truth, by which no one was ever truly harmed. It is the person who continues in his self-deception and ignorance who is harmed.” — Marcus Aurelius
39. “The mind that is anxious about future events is miserable.” — Marcus Aurelius
40 of 40 Marcus Aurelius Quotes
40. “The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.” — Marcus Aurelius
The above wonderful list of Marcus Aurelius Quotes are a great reflection of the wisdom and insights of one of the most influential thinkers of history.
His messages focus on how it is important to live the present moment, to be mindful of our thoughts and actions, and to always look for personal growth.
Marcus Aurelius quotes motivate us to be strong when facing hard times, to treat others with kindness, and to have a purpose in life.
Marcus Aurelius’s insights are as relevent noawadays as they were years ago, and his quotes still a great source of inspiration for us in our life journey.